Monday, November 20, 2006

Official: French and Italians are all seven stone weaklings

The Maltese and the Greeks are the heavyweights of Europe, figures from the European Commission reveal.

The Italians and French the most trim, while the average Briton - like the average European - is slightly over the ideal weight.

Obesity is measured by calculating body mass index (BMI). A BMI of between 18.5 and 25 is considered healthy, between 25 and 30 overweight and above 30 obese.

The latest figures show that the average citizen in 20 EU countries, including the UK - where the average BMI is 25.4 - is overweight. The average person in the other five, including Italy and France, is officially healthy.





I thought we were meant to be Europe’s champion fatties but it turns out we’re only 10th!

I blame all the immigrants for bringing our average down.

2 comments:

martpol said...

I don't know about the Greeks but I'm surprised about the Maltese. When I was there we ate a lot of rabbit, tomatoes and some of the greatest fish I've tasted.

There is a tendency to dip into the British cookbook and chuck gravy over things, though generally not over fish.

Brit said...

So did I, but we were tourists. Maybe the locals all eat at the McDonalds in Sliema.

Or maybe they count the British tourists in the poll... that would make sense.