Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zang

This morning as I munched my brekkie (and swiftly followed it up with my lunch, a la ZMKC) in front of Sky’s coverage of the Bangladesh-England Test, I’m sure I heard Nick Knight say of debutant spinner James Tredwell:

“He’s bowled well; he's got plenty of zang off the pitch…”

I doubted myself immediately of course, but it did sound like ‘zang’. He emphasised the zang, and emphasis is a good way to give any noise a bit of meaning.

Perhaps Knight thinks of zang as the yang to zing’s yin.

5 comments:

The Old Batsman said...

Tredwell? Zang? I doubt it...

The Old Batsman said...

More like thunk...

Brit said...

You say that with the confidence of a man who is fully aware of what 'zang' means, OB.

worm said...

zang? - past tense of 'to sing' in German.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Zing and zang on the model of yin and yang: I like it, but maybe it's more prosaic than that... maybe zing simply turns from the off and zang from the leg.