Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural poem for Obama

Nige reminds me that it is traditional for a poet to offer something at the inauguration of the new President. Do you know, I'd forgotten all about it, so I've had to hastily put something together for him. Well, here it is.

I call it simply "Barack Obama"...

O Barack Obama
Wiser than the Dalai
Lama
Your battle with Hillary
Clinton made for good
drama
Though it went on a bit
Like a story on
A dull episode of Panorama,
Perhaps about the state of
Singaporian
Ecomonics. However, your victory
Pleased Simon Schama
Who is a British
Historian
(Possibly left leaning)
O Barack Obama.
Obama.

5 comments:

David said...

A great improvement on the actual inaugural poem.

Ali said...

(claps)

Anonymous said...

Not bad at all, at least for a conservative who chooses fear over hope.

Hey Skipper said...

A great improvement on the actual inaugural poem.

A lower bar beggars the imagination.

Brit said...

I was sorely tempted to throw in an extra line:

Who is a British
Historian
(Possibly left leaning
i.e. not a Tory 'un)

but I thought it might spoil the poem's unique asymmetry.