Thursday, February 01, 2007

Just a tiny amount

Wallace and Gromit creators Aardman Animations and US studio Dreamworks have ended a five-film deal early after two movies reportedly underperformed.

Losses were reported for their last two films, Flushed Away and Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The companies have released three films together, also including Chicken Run. Dreamworks said the firms now had "different business goals", while Bristol-based Aardman Animations said their "ambitions have moved apart".



Aardman spokesman Arthur Sheriff said the separation was a result of Dreamworks' move to focus on computer animation.

The UK animators wanted to continue making their distinctive "claymations", he said.


"We always knew that America would be a hard task for us - we're a very English company," he added. "We embrace the international market but we think part of our strength is our English sense of humour and we want to continue with that."






I thought the Were-Rabbit one was a bit uncompromisingly English, which was presumably the problem. But Nick Park and co just aren’t Hollywood types.

(As Brian Appleyard also notes, and as explained in the Fast Show…)


3 comments:

Harry Eagar said...

Tricia and I almost never go to films any more, but for reasons I cannot recall we went to 'Were-Rabbit' and 'Corpse Bride' on back-to-back days last year.

I like 'Bride' better, but then I'm a fan of 'The Nightmare before Christmas.'

I expect you're right about the insular humor of 'Were-Rabbit,' although I think I got most of the jokes. I just didn't find them quite that funny.

Did you hear that Bill Forsythe has a new movie coming? Don't know the title, but I believe it's his first feature in about 15 years. Supposedly, after 'Being Human' he turned to documentaries, but I've not been able to find what he did.

I liked 'Being Human,' but it's hard to understand how it got funded. The one with Christine Lahti (title forgotten) was weird, too. But I love his Glaswegian stuff.

Brit said...

I love 'Nightmare before Christmas'. Now there's a musical Peter didn't mention. Presumably not camp enough.

I've not seen Being Human but I liked Local Hero and Gregory's Girl.

Hey Skipper said...

I saw both 'Flushed Away' and 'Were Rabbit'. My kids loved them

Liked them both, but they didn't come quite up to the bar set by 'A Close Shave'.

That is a pretty high bar, though, and just because they didn't quite clear it doesn't stop them from being two very entertaining movies.