If you waste enough time on the internet debating lark, you’ll soon realise that few things are more popular than a comparison with the Nazis, Nazism, Hitler, Nazi appeasers, the Nazi-collaborating Vichy Government or the Goebbels propaganda machine.
The Nazi Comparison is designed to be a final word – the ultimate argument for which your opponent can have no possible answer
This page aims to be a perma-linked record of all the best Nazi References. Please feel free to report any good ones not on the list.
Remember: the more gratuitous the better, and double marks for two precisely opposite viewpoints both getting the dreaded comparison.
Key: C=Comparer; R=Reason given (if any)
1) George W Bush (C: the Left half of the world; R: you name it, really)
2) The United Nations (C: The Right half of the world; R: appeasing genocidal dictators)
3) The Roman Catholic Church (C: Lapsed Catholics, mostly; R: opposing condoms and other sundry items)
4) Atheists (C: The Religious Right; R: being atheists, like the Nazis)
5) The Religious Right (C: Atheists; R: being intolerant, like the Nazis)
6) Darwinists (C: The Religious Right; R: approving of genocide)
7) Tony Blair and the Labour spin-doctors (C: The Tories; R: propaganda)
8) The Tory party (C: the British Left; R: being fuddy-duddy and homophobic etc)
9) Fox-hunters (C: Animal Rights Activists; R: killing foxes is as bad or worse than killing people)
10) City folk who want to ban fox-hunting (C: The Countryside Alliance; R: the tyranny of the majority)
11) Israel (C: pro-Palestinians; R: just general dislike really)
12) The Pro-life movement (C: The Pro-choice movement; R: being evil)
13) The Pro-choice movement (C: The Pro-life movement; R: being evil)
14) The War On Terror (C: Harold Pinter; R: senility)
15) Harry Potter (C: Certain US bloggers; R: Hogwarts is racially prejudiced against muggles)
16) Those who think religion and scientific viewpoints are ultimately incompatible (C: a certain other blogger; R: you’ll have to ask him)
17) Ted Haggard’s New Life Church, Colorado Springs (C: Richard Dawkins; R: a service looks like the Nuremburg rallies)
18) Those who want to introduce a British identity card. (C: teenage debaters. R: ID cards would arguably pose a minor threat to civil liberties; anyone who does this clearly wants to establish the Fourth Reich)
19) Anti-prostitution laws (C: Sebastian Horsley; R: interference with his fundamental slap-and-tickle rights )