In Letters to the Editor (today’s Times):
I say, chaps . . .
Sir, President Chirac can end his address to the nation with “Vive la France”; President Bush says “God bless America”. What can our leaders say to unite and inspire the nation?
Here are my suggestions for expressions Blair and successors could use to wrap up speeches :
1) Carry on, Britain.
3) Confusion to Bonaparte!
4) Still, mustn’t grumble, eh?
6) After all, worse things happen at sea.
8) Nice to see you, to see you…nice!
9) God Save the King!
10) So put that in yer pipe and smoke it.
11) End of
12) Right, anyone fancy a pint?